First-year goalie from the Union College women’s lacrosse team, Rachel Widlitz, has been recognized as the top goalie in the Empire Region by the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA). Widlitz’s outstanding performance earned her a spot on the All-Region first team, becoming one of only two first-year goalies in Division III to receive this honor.
Impressive Achievements and Recognition
Widlitz’s exceptional skills and contributions have garnered attention and accolades throughout her first collegiate season. She was previously named to the All-Liberty League first team and stood out as Union’s first All-Region netminder since 2015. Her immediate impact in the crease resulted in a remarkable 10-5 record, showcasing a 10.02 goals against average and an impressive .518 save percentage. Widlitz’s 147 saves this season set a new record for a Union goalie since 2010.
Impactful Performances and National Recognition
Widlitz’s dedication and talent were further recognized when she was honored by the IWLCA as the Division III National Co-Defensive Player of the Week. Her exceptional performance during a game against William Smith College, where she made a season-high 20 stops, proved instrumental in securing Union’s victory over a nationally ranked opponent after a decade.
Paving the Way for All-American Honors
As a result of her outstanding achievements, Widlitz has become eligible for the highly prestigious IWLCA All-American honors. These honors, which will be announced on May 24, recognize the top players in women’s lacrosse across the nation. Widlitz’s remarkable skills, impact on the field, and consistent contributions make her a strong contender for this esteemed recognition.
Widlitz’s recognition as the top goalie in the Empire Region is a testament to her skill, dedication, and remarkable performance throughout her first year at Union College. Her achievements not only contribute to the team’s success but also highlight the rising talent within Division III women’s lacrosse. With her eligibility for All-American honors, Widlitz’s promising future in the sport seems bright.
Here are some FAQs that can provide information about the entities mentioned:
1. Union College Women’s Lacrosse Team:
* What is the history and background of the Union College Women’s Lacrosse Team?
* Who are some notable players/coaches associated with the team?
* How has the team performed in previous seasons?
* What are some significant achievements of the team?
2. Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA):
* What is the role and purpose of the IWLCA?
* How does the IWLCA promote and support women’s lacrosse?
* What are some other awards and recognition programs offered by the IWLCA?
* How are the All-Region and All-American selections made?
3. Empire Region:
* Where is the Empire Region located?
* Which colleges and universities are part of the Empire Region?
* What is the significance of the Empire Region in women’s lacrosse?
* Are there any notable lacrosse events or tournaments held in the Empire Region?
4. All-Region First Team:
* What are the criteria for selection to the All-Region First Team in women’s lacrosse?
* How many players are typically chosen for the first team?
* What are the benefits and recognition associated with being selected for the All-Region First Team?
* Are there any past notable players who have received this honor?
5. IWLCA All-American Honors:
* How are the IWLCA All-American honors determined?
* What are the different categories or levels of All-American honors?
* How prestigious are these honors in the women’s lacrosse community?
* Can a player receive All-American honors multiple times during their collegiate career?
Please note that the specific questions and answers will vary based on the available information and sources.